A leg workout that builds big, strong and defined muscles is a dream come true. And having fully developed and toned muscles in your lower body is proof that you are using proper training. If you want to look sexy, your main emphasis should be on your lower body muscles.
So, we are here to tell you about a leg workout to make your hamstrings and quadriceps look muscular and toned, eventually giving you a healthy and eye-catchy summer body look. A good leg workout not only builds the legs but also tones the abs. But before going towards the main topic, let us elaborate on some of the critical points related to healthy muscles. Hamstrings are the muscles present behind the back of your thighs. Fit and toned hamstrings mean that you can effectively flex and extend your knees without getting fatigued quickly.
But many people place their primary emphasis on the Quadriceps that runs in front of the thigh. Keep in mind that you have to keep a balanced approach between your thigh and hamstring muscles. An imbalance in muscles may cause faster injuries in your knees while performing movements.
Tips for getting altogether toned and strong quads and hamstrings
Follow this leg workout to get accurate and attractive looking hamstring and perform accurate movements of legs.
- Perform a sufficient number of Romanian deadlifts.
- Split squats are the main workout for getting perfect hamstrings.
- Gluteal bridge lift that will also keep your thigh muscles engaged and toned.
- Kettlebell Swings is also considered as a hamstring building exercise.
- If you want to get, stronger Quadriceps make sure that you are performing the Leg Press.
A lower-leg workout that builds up lower leg muscles
If you want to get balanced leg muscles, both the quads and the hamstrings, make sure you are accurately performing both exercises. For this, you will need proper guidance. Only by doing so will you build balanced and toned leg muscles. This will give you effective leg movements and will prevent injuries to your knees to a great extent.
-Exercise 1: Romanian deadlifts
This exercise is said to be the main exercise to have a great impact on your hamstrings. It will show prominent results with your muscles in a shorter span.
- 2 warm-up sets of 5 reps
- 3 to 5 working sets of 8 to 10 reps
- Use an exercise mat and lay on your back. To provide you a smooth and comfortable surface overall.
- Stand up with your legs hip-distance apart as much you can do comfortably. Now bend your knees to some extent.
- Make sure that your arms are fully relaxed with the barbell in your hands.
- After this, roll the bar to your shin before lifting the weight. Make your back is flat and slowly lift the weight with ease. Also, make sure that you are bending your knees and pushing your butt back.
- Don’t disturb your core feet, and put the pressure on your heels to straighten your back and pull the weight upward.
- Pull the barbell up your shin. This will let you perform the exercise effectively and will prevent your muscles from getting fatigued quickly.
-Exercise2: Split squats
The split squats are considered a key exercise to go for if you want to build stronger leg muscles and perform activities more effectively. No doubt this strenuous exercise will target your hamstrings and quads which means a complete build of your muscles can be done by doing sufficient sets of split squats on a daily basis. Not only building muscles but also this exercise will improve your posture and keep your lower legs balanced.
- 2 warm-up sets of 5 reps
- 4 to 6 working sets of 8 to 12 reps
- This exercise is performed for the individual leg as it is a single-leg exercise. You have to elevate the back leg on a rigid surface and perform squats with the other one.
- This exercise demands a huge range of balance. You have to practice a lot to stay balanced.
- Keep your feet almost on the hip feet apart. Only in this condition you will get accurate and fatigue-free results.
- Try to keep a balance between the load you are putting on your both legs.
- Perform equal steps for both your legs daily. This will make your hamstrings stronger and stiffer without putting much effort.
-Exercise 3: Weighted Gluteal Bridge
This exercise is the most recommended one if you want to get excellent and well balanced leg and thigh muscles. In this exercise first of all you should try lifting yourself without adding weights or dumbbells and once you get trained go for dumbbells.
- 3 warm-up sets of 5 reps
- 3 to 4 working sets of 15 to25 reps
- Get a floor mat for yourself to provide you a comfortable place for performing a strenuous exercise.
- First of all, you have to lie on your back with your knees bent or flexed to some extent.
- Place your feet on the ground stiffly and keep your core well maintained. Hold the dumbbells on the lower of your belly.
- Now you have to lift your hips that will impact your hamstrings and make them stronger and stiffer.
- Ensure that you hold you’re lifted back for a second and then relax your back for the other second.
- Firstly try to do with less weight and gradually increase when you start to become used to. Daily performing this exercise will make your pelvis and legs muscles active and completely in tone.
-Exercise 4: Kettlebell Swings
Engaging you whole body muscles to get a completely active body in a single exercise is difficult but still we have got a perfect exercise for you that will never disappoint you if you are concerned with your lower leg muscles. As a result of this you will get excellent built up muscles plus a great posture with perfect symmetry.
- 10 warm-up sets of 5-10 reps
- 3 to 5 working sets of 10 reps
- Stand straight and grip the kettlebell firmly with your hands. Make sure that something is not irritating you. Also keep your eyes straight forward.
- Leave your arms loose, and then swing the kettle while standing firmly on the core.
- Perform this exercise with soft knees to get an accurate tone with your hamstrings.
- After each cycle wait for 1-2 seconds and then again bend down to start the next cycle with relaxed arms.
- Choose that spot where you don’t have to face any obstruction while swinging the kettlebell.
-Exercise 5: Leg Press
This seated exercise requires a leg press machine to provide you with effective results and a well defined lower body. You sit on the machine with your knees bent and then start the process.
- 8 warm-up sets of 5-10 reps
- 3-5working sets of 12 to 15 reps
For starting the leg press exercise you will have to lay on the machine with the knees slightly bent and keeping the loaded part on to your legs.
In this type of exercise, you have to maintain your balance to get accurate results. This exercise is the inferior version of the squats.
You have to follow the same steps as in the squats but in an inverted manner. But make sure that you are straightening your legs completely.
Leg press includes great activity and engages hip muscles to a great extent, making the hamstrings and Quadriceps much more vigorous and toned.
-Exercise 6: Sprints
This short burst running exercise is effective for getting perfectly active lower leg muscles. If you are walking or jogging for longer periods it will never give you the same results but in sprints you will get visible and frequent results with your hamstrings and quadriceps.
- Warm up for 10 to 15 minutes
- 5 sprints once a week
- If you think that sprints are not worth it, then you are wrong. In our views, sprints are the most effective and more comfortable leg workout to perform without the need for any proper coaching or any instrument. Also, with sprints, you will achieve accurate and visible results with your lower legs in a lesser period.
- But first of all, you have to learn about the sprints and know all of the necessary steps you have to follow.
- At your first sprints, try to give on your 50 to 60 percent of effort and keep the time limited to almost 30 seconds in the beginning. Once you get comfortable and used to it, try to increase this limit.
Follow these simple steps to be a pro in sprinting.
- First of all, try to warm up. Before starting a leg workout, try to warm up with lighter exercises.
- The core stability and posture maintenance should be your main emphasis while performing sprints.
- Run in a circular area.
- Add efficiency while landing and lifting your legs.
- Keep your stride shorter as much as possible.
- Breathe fully to reduce fatigue and keep your lungs healthier
Bringing our guidelines to an end, we would like to say that performing a leg workout with fully efficient procedures is necessary to tone your lower leg muscles. But you have to keep in mind that maintaining a balance between the tone of your Quadriceps and hamstrings is essential to reduce fatigue and fractures in your leg bones.
Only by keeping a perfect balance between the exercises for your lower leg muscles, you will be able to flex and extend your legs with full efficiency. Shortly, try to keep every step in mind and follow a step-by-step approach to achieve accurate results in less time.