Do you want to know more about bodybuilding leg day? The lower body contains some of your biggest muscles capable of bearing significant weight. However, resist the temptation for beginners to go broke by performing heavy squats.
To begin with, concentrate on building the muscles safely by using machines that isolate muscle groups.
For example, the squat is an excellent compound exercise that trains many lower body muscles.
Still, it is one you should learn properly after spending three months strengthening the individual muscles that you will use later.
The Five Groups of Muscles of the Lower Body
- Quads – this is the big muscle group comprising four muscles at the front of the thigh. These are the primary muscles used when performing squats, leg presses, lunges, and leg extension exercises.
- Hamstrings – these are the primary muscles at the back of the thigh. These are the primary muscles used when performing leg curls.
- Gluteals – these are the muscles that make up the buttocks.
- Hip flexors are the small muscles at the front of the pelvis that allows you to raise your legs to the front.
- Calves – these are the two muscles found in the lower leg.
Exercises for Beginner Bodybuilders to Work Leg Days for Bodybuilding
- Leg Press – 1 set of 10-15 reps. Thus, this is a helpful exercise for the quads, but it also works the hamstrings and glutes to a lesser degree.
- Leg Extension – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Also, this is a valuable exercise for adding definitions to the quads.
- Hamstring Curl – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Thus, this exercise isolates the hamstrings.
- Standing Calf Raise – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Also, this exercise works the gastrocnemius muscle.
- Seated Calf Raise – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise works the soleus muscle underneath the gastrocnemius muscle.
As with all exercises, you need to schedule specific body parts. To begin with, incorporate your lower body exercises into a program similar to the one suggested below:
- Monday: Biceps, Back, Abs
- Tuesday: Hamstrings, Shoulders, Abs
- Thursday: Quads, Forearms, Calves
- Friday: Triceps, Chest, Abs
For the first couple of weeks, complete one set, then add one set each week to a maximum of three. You will be ready to move to more intensive intermediate-level exercises at the end of three months.
Exercises for Intermediate and Advanced Bodybuilders on Leg Day for Bodybuilding
- Squat – 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps. Thus, this compound exercise works the quads, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back.
- Deadlift – 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps. Also, this compound exercise works the quads, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back.
- Leg Extension – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Thus, this is a valuable exercise for adding definitions to the quads.
- Hamstring Curl – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Also, this exercise isolates the hamstrings.
- Standing Calf Raise – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Thus, this exercise works the gastrocnemius muscle.
- Lunges – 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Also, this exercise works on the quads, hamstrings, and glutes.
Intermediate and advanced bodybuilders adopt well-established workout programs to get the best results.
The workout program dictates the schedule, reps, sets, and rest days. To begin with, incorporate your lower body exercises into a program similar to the one suggested below:
- German Volume Training
- Split Day
Finally, use progressive overload, a periodization plan, a protein-based diet, 8 hours of sleep, and a good rest and recovery strategy.
Always use a comprehensive training approach that addresses each action and reaction to each step.
For example, if you workout hard, rest just as hard, and eat better. Take a balanced approach to get the best results.
The Last Word on Leg Day for Bodybuilding
Besides the exercises, the most important things you can do are using proper form, progressive overload, and a periodization plan. Also, use a high-protein diet to complement your workout program. You are what you eat.
Finally, get 8 hours or more sleep when your body produces the hormones that tell it to build muscle. In addition, sleep gives you the energy you need to workout.
What do you think? Please share your response in the comment section below so that others can benefit from your experience.