Do you want to know more about bodybuilding leg day? The lower body contains some of your biggest muscles capable of bearing significant weight. However, you should resist the temptation for beginners to go broke by performing heavy squats.
To begin with, you should concentrate on building the muscles safely by using machines that isolate muscle groups. For example, the squat is an excellent compound exercise that trains numerous lower body muscles. Still, it is one you should learn properly after spending three months strengthening the individual muscles that you will utilize later.
The muscles of the lower body can be divided into five groups:
- Quads – this is the big muscle group consisting of four muscles at the front of the thigh. These are the primary muscles used when performing squats, leg presses, lunges, and leg extension exercises.
- Hamstrings – these are the main muscles at the back of the thigh. These are the primary muscles used when performing leg curls.
- Gluteals – these are the muscles that make up the buttocks.
- Hip flexors are the small muscles at the front of the pelvis that allows you to raise your legs to the front.
- Calves – these are the two muscles found in the lower leg.
For beginners, they should exercise these muscles:
- Leg Press – 1 set of 10-15 reps. Thus, this is a helpful exercise for the quads, but it also works the hamstrings and glutes to a lesser degree.
- Leg Extension – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Also, this is a valuable exercise for adding definitions to the quads.
- Hamstring Curl – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Thus, this exercise isolates the hamstrings.
- Standing Calf Raise – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Also, this exercise works the gastrocnemius muscle.
- Seated Calf Raise – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise works the soleus muscle underneath the gastrocnemius muscle.
As with all exercises, you need to take care in scheduling specific body parts. To begin with, you should incorporate your lower body exercises into a program similar to the one suggested below:
- Monday: Biceps, Back, Abs
- Tuesday: Hamstrings, Shoulders, Abs
- Thursday: Quads, Forearms, Calves
- Friday: Triceps, Chest, Abs
For the first couple of weeks, complete one set but then add one set each week to a maximum of three. You will be ready to move to more intensive intermediate-level exercises at the end of three months.
For intermediate and advanced bodybuilders, they should exercise these muscles:
- Squat – 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps. Thus, this compound exercise works the quads, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back.
- Deadlift – 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps. Also, this compound exercise works the quads, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back.
- Leg Extension – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Thus, this is a valuable exercise for adding definitions to the quads.
- Hamstring Curl – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Also, this exercise isolates the hamstrings.
- Standing Calf Raise – 3 sets of 10-15 reps. Thus, this exercise works the gastrocnemius muscle.
- Lunges – 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Also, this exercise works on the quads, hamstrings, and glutes.
The Last Word on Bodybuilding Leg Day
Besides the exercises, the most important things you can do are using proper form, progressive overload, and a periodization plan. Also, use a high protein diet to complement your workout program. You are what you eat.
Finally, get 8 hours or more sleep when your body produces the hormones that tell it to build muscle. In addition, sleep gives you the energy you need to workout. What do you think? Please share your response in the comment section below so that others can benefit from your experience.