Can you use your diet and exercise to control and eliminate diabetes? Diabetes, a common name for diabetes mellitus, is a metabolic disease that leads to high blood sugar levels. Ordinarily, through insulin, the body gets to move sugar from the blood and use it to create energy for the body. When diabetes sets in, the body cannot produce enough insulin, or the insulin produced becomes ineffective.
There are three types of diabetes, and they are;
Type 1 diabetes: This is an autoimmune disease (it makes the immune system attack the cells). With type 1 diabetes, the immune system attacks the pancreas, making it impossible to produce insulin.
Type 2 diabetes: With type 2 diabetes, the body can’t use insulin effectively to convert blood sugar. This makes the pancreas produce more insulin until it breaks down. The insulin levels decrease, and the blood sugar levels increase.
Gestational diabetes: This diabetes occurs only during pregnancy. Insulin-blocking hormones cause this diabetes, but it usually goes away after the pregnancy.
Diets for Diabetes
When trying to manage diabetes, the right diet is enough to do the trick. In most cases, changing your diet can help you control the disease. Here are foods that can help manage diabetes.
1. Type 1 diabetes: With this diabetes, your blood sugar rises and falls depending on what you eat. With sugar and starch, your blood sugar goes up quickly. While protein and fat increase, the blood sugar levels gradually and slowly. Cutting down on carbohydrates and balancing your fat and protein works.
2. Type 2 diabetes: With type 2 diabetes, engage in carb counting, and consult a dietitian or nutritionist. With the right food, you can control your blood sugar levels and lose unwanted weight.
Here is a list of food you should eat to control your blood sugar level:
lean protein such as poultry and fish
healthy fats such as olive oil and nuts
3. Gestational diabetes: This diabetes lasts for nine months. Your diet can determine how well you control gestational diabetes. Not consuming too much sugary and salty foods can go a long way. The baby’s growth requires some sugar but avoid eating it in excess.
Here is a list of food to eat and to avoid.
Food to eat:
Food to avoid:
Exercise for Diabetes
You can contain diabetes and manage it, with the right exercise routine, and here are some exercises you can do.
1. Cardio or Aerobic Exercises: Cardio and aerobic exercises such as swimming, biking, dancing, and Zumba go a long way in regulating your blood sugar level. Also, engaging daily in these activities at least 30 minutes can prove useful.
2. Yoga or Tai Chi: Yoga and Tai Chi are similar and can help manage diabetes. Yoga can help manage stress and control diabetes. While Tai Chi can control blood glucose and A1C levels for people with Type 2 diabetes.
You must seek the advice of your doctor. They can provide you with information and dietary plans that work for you. No matter how good the method, it only works when you execute it. By using your diet, exercise, and following the directions of your doctor, you can defeat diabetes and live a long life.