How can you use the keto diet to burn body fat?
The keto diets help with weight loss, irritable bowel syndrome, Alzheimer’s disease, epilepsy, and cancer. The keto diet works by forcing your body into ketosis. This is when your body uses fat for energy instead of glycogen (carbs).
We recommend eating healthy fats, protein, and low-carb vegetables while following keto.
We can find healthy fats in fatty fish (salmon, mackerel), avocados, seeds, nuts, and olive oil. Proteins that are keto-friendly include grass-fed meat, chicken thigh with skin, fatty fish, and full-fat dairy products like hard cheese and cream.
Vegetables that grow above ground, such as broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, and cucumber, are keto-friendly. However, below ground, vegetables contain carbs and should be avoided on keto: carrots, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and beetroot.
The keto diet can lead to quick weight loss but is not a long-term solution. It is essential to stick to keto for up to 3 months before going back to a low-carb diet or changing your eating habits again. This will allow the ketones in your body to leave ketosis and return to normal.
Important keto diet tips include:
– Eat between 20 – 50g of net carbs per day. If you are very active, you can eat slightly more, but do this under the guidance of your keto coach.
– Exercise helps ketosis, so exercise regularly even while following keto.
– Add intermittent fasting to your ketogenic diet by ignoring the times you usually eat and only eating within a 10-12 hour window. You can do this by simply cutting out dinner and restricting your eating to the hours of 8 am – 4 pm, for example.
– Drink plenty of water during keto. Keto diets lead to ‘flushing’ excess fluid from the body, so you need to drink more than a low-carb diet.
– In ketosis, the body uses ketones, not glucose. So if you eat a keto diet and add carbs back in, then ketosis will stop, and your body may burn glycogen again!
A ketogenic diet can have many health benefits, but it isn’t a one size fits all solution for weight loss. Always consult a keto coach and keto doctor before starting a ketogenic diet.