Mike Mentzer, the bodybuilder, is considered one of the greatest bodybuilders ever. During his career in the 1970s, he won several major titles, including the Mr. Universe, Mr. America, and Mr. Olympia Heavyweight Champion competitions.
Aside from his competitive success, Mentzer also made a lasting impact on the world of bodybuilding with his training philosophy and books on fitness and nutrition. Let’s take a closer look at the life and legacy of Mike Mentzer.
Mike Mentzer – Early Life & Career
Mike Mentzer, the bodybuilder, was born in 1951 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At an early age, he developed an interest in physical fitness, eventually leading him to pursue a career as a professional bodybuilder. Mike began working out at age 12; by 15, he was bench pressing around 370 pounds. Mentzer’s goal was to follow in the footsteps of his idol, the legendary Bill Pearl.
After high school, Mike spent four years in the United States Marine Corps. Then, in 1975, he attended the University of Maryland as a pre-med student.
- 1971 Mr. Lancaster 1st
- 1976 Mr. America 1st
- 1977 North American Championships 1st
- 1978 Mr. Universe 1st
- 1979 Florida Pro Invitational 1st
- 1979 Mr. Olympia Heavyweight Championship 1st
- 1980 Mr. Olympia – 5th
Mike Mentzer – Training Philosophy
Throughout his career, Mike Mentzer, the bodybuilder, became well-known for his training methods, which focused more on quality than quantity regarding workouts. He argued that shorter, more intense workouts would yield better results than longer, less intense ones.
This theory has since been proven correct by modern science and exercise physiology research. Despite this, many traditional bodybuilders dismissed Mentzer’s ideas as too radical or “outside of the box,” thinking for their taste.
Mike wrote books on his high-intensity training philosophy. He insisted that resistance training had to be intense but brief to get the best results.
Mike Mentzer – Diet and Nutrition Philosophy
Mike Mentzer, the bodybuilder, wrote several books in his lifetime, but one of his most noted books was Heavy Duty Nutrition. In Heavy Duty Nutrition, Mike believed that bodybuilders eat well-balanced meals for the best results. Mike further stated that bodybuilders must consume food from all four food groups. His diet philosophy consisted of the following:
- Grains – 4 Servings
- Fruits & Vegetables – 2 Servings
- Dairy – 2 Servings
- Protein – 2 Servings
Mentzer’s philosophy was that carbohydrates should make up around 50 – 60% of a diet, and the other 40% should come from healthy proteins and fats. His bodybuilding diet was more controversial than his training philosophy. Most bodybuilding diets are built around protein, not carbohydrates. But one can’t argue about how hard protein is on the vital organs and digestive system. Perhaps Mike was on to something.
Mike Mentzer found himself embroiled in several disputes during his lifetime, including charges of steroid use (which were later dropped) and allegations that he had plagiarized parts of one of his books from another author’s work without giving proper credit or compensation (which were later settled out of court).
But what Mike Mentzer is most noted for is his confrontations with Arnold Schwarzenegger. During the 1980 Mr. Olympia competition, Mike came head-to-head with the bodybuilding legend. The controversies between the two men were so nasty that Mike Mentzer retired from bodybuilding. He maintained that the 1980 Mr. Olympia competition was rigged until the day he died.
Mike died in 2001 in Rolling Hills, California. His body was found in his apartment. His death was caused by heart complications and his long fight against Berger’s disease. Mike was always a fighter who took on the establishment. Unfortunately, he did not get credit for his training and nutrition contributions until after his life. Mentzer was inducted into the IFBB Hall of Fame in 2002.
Conclusion on Mike Mentzer, Bodybuilder and Father of Modern Training Philosophy
Despite the controversies throughout his life and career, Mike Mentzer will always be remembered as one of the greatest bodybuilders ever to have stepped foot on stage.
Mike is remembered for his impressive competitive accomplishments. As well as for introducing revolutionary concepts into bodybuilding training and nutrition methods, which are still used today and aspiring athletes worldwide.
His legacy will continue to live on through all those who embraced his teachings during his lifetime. Also, beyond into future generations who will carry this torch into uncharted waters as they strive to reach new goals in physical fitness excellence!
If you love bodybuilding, share this article on Facebook or Twitter so that others can learn more about building muscle.